Mag Square

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

in the spotlight: sweet william

We are so excited to share that Sweet William will be attending our Paddington event! We want to welcome these ladies with open arms and know our Sydney readers will absolutely fall in love with their lovely goodies. Make sure to stop by and say hello... 

 

Tell us about your business and background...
Sweet William is a creative label my sister and I started in June 2008, we sell art prints, stationary, textile art and few other little hand made goodies. My sister lives in New Zealand and I in Melbourne, we are both originally from South Africa and wanted to stay connected despite the distance, we both thrive on being creative, Shelley loves to makes things and I love to draw and so we started Sweet William (named after our childhood pet cat). 
What is your favourite part of the job?
I do what I love - drawing and being creative plus I can work from home so am here for my three little girls 




Describe your workspace or where you create
I work from home in my studio (which is really the formal dinning room but who needs one of those!). I have three trestles tables and a large easel to work on and I use every work surface. I have pin boards and bits and pieces stuck up on the walls to inspire me - colour swatches, cards, illustrations, clippings, drawings etc and I have a massive amount of vintage paper ephemera, tissue paper, wrapping paper and plenty of books and magazines everywhere.



What’s your own personal style?
Eclectic, flea market, vintage, casual.
If money were no object what would you buy?
A house on the beach with a huge light filled studio



What are some of your daily reads or blogs you can’t live without?
The design files, Elle decoration UK, flicker
Describe your typical workday?
I don't have one, everyday is a little different, I work around the kids and fit things in when I can.



What other designers inspire you?
Miso and Ghost patrol; The Balck Apple on etsy; Olaf Hajek, Donna Wilson, Emily Chalmers
What business advice would you give to those just starting out?
Embrace the power online networking - blog, facebook, twitter, flicker - it's all so readily available and free!




What are you looking forward to in 2011?
Growing my little business
What three words best describe you?
Creative, passionate, talkative  



What is playing on your iPod right now?
Mumford and Sons - love them!
For more information please visit:
www.lovelysweetwilliam.blogspot.com

1 comment:

We'd love to hear your thoughts ...